Review | Rimmel Scandaleyes Waterproof Kohl Kajal

I wrote a review about the Rimmel Scandaleyes Waterproof Kohl Kajal in Nude back in March but since my collection has grown quite a bit I think it was time for me to write a full in-depth review about one of my favorite eyeliners I've ever tried. Rimmel was never a brand that struck me as a good competitor against high end brand till recently. I went from walking past Rimmel, to walking away with a couple Rimmel products whenever I go to Target or a drugstore.

In my initial review I referred to the Scandaleyes Waterproof Kohl Kajal as Rimmel's answer to the Urban Decay 24/7 eyeliners and I still stand by that statement. I was a loyal Urban Decay 24/7 consumer for 4 years, to the point that I would justify buying a $19 electric blue eyeliner that I would seldom wear. $19 is a very steep price for an eyeliner, even if its a black one that will ultimately be well loved.

I first heard about the eyeliners from watching FleurDeForce's YouTube. She's definitely one of the beauty bloggers that I trust the most, so when I saw her raving about the nude I knew I had to run out to buy it. Since the beginning of March, Nude has taken over as my favorite nude eyeliner. When I found out that $5 eyeliner beat a $16 MAC eyeliner I knew I had to try out more shades. Since March, I've purchased three other shades: Black, Taupe, and Deep Blue.

Black is your standard rich black eyeliner. It doesn't have any glitter nor sheen to it, so it's perfect for those who love to apply eyeliner on their waterline or tightline. Taupe is a light brownish-gray color. I've been using it on my waterline when I want to slightly define my eyes. It is definitely a color for those girls who like to keep it light and simple on their eyes. Dark Blue is a navy blue color that isn't too deep. I find this to be on the lighter end of navy blue shades, if there's such a thing. The eyeliner would be an ideal base if you want to create a rich blue smokey eye. And finally there's Nude which kick started my love for these pencils. Nude is definitely a very light nude shade with just a tinge of salmon in it. The reason why it has become one of my favorite items in my makeup collection is because it instantly brightens up the eyes without looking like you've applied a stark white color or concealer on your waterline.

Now that you've heard about the colors themselves, let's me tell you the reasons why I'm head over heels about these. The formula of these are truly remarkable for a drugstore product. The eyeliners are creamy, richly pigmented, go on smooth, and most importantly are long lasting. The days of cheap dry eyeliner that would tug on your eyelids are long gone! Another quality that sets the Scandaleyes eyeliners apart are the wide color range. Usually drugstore brands will have your basic colors: black, brown, navy blue, and maybe a gray or purple but there are a total of 10 shades available in the Scandaleyes permanent collection. There's everything from a taupe to a pastel blue. Some colors such as nude are rarely seen in the drugstore so it's great to see a company stepping up to the plate and replicating some of the most popular high-end shades.

You probably think that it's near to impossible for me to come up with cons, and you know what? I did struggle coming up with things I don't like about the Rimmel Scandaleyes but I found one thing that hopefully they will work on. When comparing these to the Urban Decay 24/7 eyeliners or other high-end eyeliners, two things stood out: 1. lack of finishes 2. lack of truly unique shades. Currently Rimmel only offers the standard finish (which looks pretty matte to me) and a couple of metallic shades but there are so many finishes out there. For example Urban Decay currently offers duo tone, glitter, matte, metallic, satin, and shimmer eyeliners. I would love to see Scandaleyes offering more than just matte and metallic shades. Imagine a rich olive green color with gold shimmer, or an eggplant shade. Although the Scandaleyes are offering a pretty unique variety of shades for the drugstore, the shades themselves are nothing innovative. These two cons are not huge problems whatsoever but I would love to see them expand the line as their brand just grows worldwide.

Overall, the Scandaleyes Waterproof Kohl Kajal eyeliners are one of the best eyeliners I've ever tried. They're easily the best drugstore eyeliner out there without a doubt and since discovering them I will never spend $19 on an eyeliner again.
Have you tried the Scandaleyes Waterproof Kohl Kajal pencils? If so which shades are in your collection?

Also I have a brand new makeup tutorial on my YouTube channel. If you're interested in finding out how you can wear blue eyeshadow without it being too obnoxious please click here.

No comments :

Post a Comment