DIY | Lip Scrub

Welcome to the first post of DIY week here on Laura Neuzeth. Today's DIY will be on a very simple beauty product that can cost upwards of $9.95 at stores such as Lush. Whenever I see people buy a sugar lip scrub my question is always "why?" Lip scrubs are very easy to make and most of the products you'll need can easily be found at home. Now for those who don't know, it is important to exfoliate your lips at least once a week. Just like any part of your body, your lips will benefit from getting rid of the dry skin. Using a lip scrub will help get rid of the dead skin on the surface of your lips, help any moisturizers penetrate the lips better, and it will also provide a smoother surface for lipstick application. Now that we have that out of the way it is time to begin the DIY!


What You Will Need
An empty container- I used an old cream eyeshadow container
Sugar- I used white sugar but you can also use brown sugar if you desire
Vaseline- This will make the lip scrub thick
Moisturizing oil- You can use either jojoba or vitamin E but I used a combination of both
100% Pure Essential oil- This will give your lip scrub a flavor and scent, you can also use vanilla or mint extract for this
The measurements will change according to the size of your container, but the most important thing is that you want to have a thick base before you add the sugar. I had started with 1/4 teaspoon of Vaseline but had to add another 1/4 teaspoon to the mix because it wasn't thick enough.
Now that the Vaseline is inside the container you can begin adding the moisturizing oils. Like I said you can use either jojoba or vitamin e oil for this since both are very moisturizing. I used a combination of both oils because I've been using that recently to moisturize my face at night and I've been really liking that combo. I added 7 drops of vitamin e and 8 drops of jojoba oil into the jar. The important thing to consider is that you want your base to remain thick but if it liquefies just add more Vaseline. This is also the time that you want to add the 100% pure essential oil. I used a grapefruit essential oil but you can use whatever essential oil you would like or even vanilla extract. Essential oils are safe for your skin as long as you dilute it and we'll be diluting it with the moisturizing oils and Vaseline. I used 6 drops of the essential oil to give my lip scrub a grapefruit scent and flavor.
Now begin adding sugar little by little, if you add too much it will overflow and get all over the place. You can use a toothpick or an olive pick to mix the sugar and base. Add sugar and keep mixing until the container is full. You want the lip scrub to look grainy because what will exfoliate your lips is the sugar.
When you're done your lip scrub will look something like this! The lip scrub should have a thick consistency that will help the sugar adhere to your lips. To make it more fun you could add a drop of food coloring but I personally like how the white sugar looked on the glass jar.
To use your lip scrub you will simply apply the mixture on your lips and then use your finger to rub it in. The first tip is to use circular motions to exfoliate your lips. Another tip is to smile so you stretch out your lips and get into the little crevices. The sugar will exfoliate your lips and the Vaseline/oils will help moisturize your lips. When you're done scrubbing you can either lick it off (if you're not weirded out about eating dead skin) or you can remove it with a tissue which is what I do. Also excuse my chipped nail, this was taken before I painted my nails.
And that's it! You'll have smooth lips ready for a lip balm or lipstick application. Also the lip scrub tasted and smelled really good! If you like citrus then I would highly suggest going for something like a lemongrass or grapefruit essential oil.

I really hope you enjoyed the first DIY post of this week. Let me know if you try this DIY by tagging me on Twitter, Facebook, or Instagram. You can also use the hashtag #NeuzethDIY so I can find your picture. Also if you speak Spanish you will now find a Mexican flag in the menu bar next to DIY. If you click on that you will be taken to my Spanish blog! 

What's your favorite way to exfoliate your lips? Let me know in the comments below.

No comments :

Post a Comment