December 2013 Playlist

With only 4 days left till 2014 I've decided to go ahead and post my last playlist of 2013. I could have easily created a NYE playlist or done a top 10 albums of 2013 list, but I just felt like showcasing those songs that I listened to non-stop this year. I made sure to include a variety of songs from indie rock to electro and even some a little bit of folk rock just to show how diverse 2013 really was.


2013 was easily one of my favorite years when it came to music releases and to no surprise Daft Punk made my whole year with the release of Random Access Memories. I know I've been talking a lot about Daft Punk but when your favorite band releases their first record since 2010 (and the first non-soundtrack LP since 2005) then you know I'm going to be making a big deal about it. To top it off my other favorite French band (Phoenix) also released an album this year. Two great albums by French bands? Once in a blue moon the ex-members of Darlin' and childhood friends release an album on the same year.

Talking about two other people who released album this year? Two great music legends released an album this year! Sir Paul McCartney and David Bowie also released fantastic albums this year. I even got the opportunity to see Paul at Outside Lands for my 5th time. I'm still keeping my fingers crossed for David Bowie though. If only he would announce a tour already...

As for newcomers, Haim and Lorde really took the music world by storm. Haim conquered people's ears with their solid debut album which has a lot of 70's and 80's influences. And who knew that 2013 would be the year that a 16 year-old with an EP would top the charts? It was absolutely incredible discovering this young talent with an old soul from New Zealand. Her album wasn't a masterpiece but it shows a lot of great potential. As a music fan I can't wait to see how Lorde will improve as a musician and performer in the years to come.

And finally we have Arcade Fire, by far my favorite Canadian export (sorry Céline). Their album offers a juxtaposition of retro sounds and lyrics that deal with social media and feeling like an outcast. There's no doubt that Reflektor was one of the best releases of this year. I mean what other band would release a 7 minute long song as their comeback single? You have to have major balls to release such a long song as your comeback single and these Canadians not only have that but they are also incredibly humble. Man oh man does it feel good to have Arcade Fire back...
What were some of your favorite songs of 2013? Let me know in the comments below!

No comments :

Post a Comment