Your Lips Are Red

Inspired by the St. Vincent song title, I've decided to dedicate a whole blog post to one of my absolute favorite lipstick shades. What's not to love about red lipstick? It's loud, powerful, and classic. Every woman looks absolutely beautiful with the right shade of red but I know that not everyone feels comfortable with such a loud shade on their lips, that's why I'll be sharing a variety finishes of red lipstick. I hope you enjoy this look into my ever growing red lipstick collection.


Revlon Lip Butter in 'Candy Apple,' $7.49
Revlon Lip Butters are one of my favorite lip products. I love absolutely everything about them! The colors, the feel, and the price. This color happens to be one of Estée's favorites and if she loves it then I was sure that I was going to love it. 'Candy Apple' is a super flattering sheer blue-based red. If you're scared of red shades but would like to try out red lipstick then I would recommend starting out with this shade. It is such a great red for everyday wear.

E.l.f. Matte Lip Color in 'Rich Rude,' $3
This is a beautiful and very affordable matte blue-based red. I feel like this is the shade that perfectly captures the color of those red bricks that can be seen in a bunch of homes in Tijuana. One of the reasons why I love the E.l.f. Matte Lip Color is because it comes in a retractable pencil so technically you can use this as a lip liner and lipstick. If the bullet becomes dull, then just pull the colored end and you'll find the little sharpener. The matte formula is one of my favorites in lipsticks, I find them very long lasting and comfortable on my lips, but if you have dry lips I would recommend you to apply a lip balm prior to applying this color.

Avon Ultra Color Rich Lipstick in 'Incredible' (Avon México), $7
This is one of the many lipsticks I've bought from my aunt during her time selling Avon to the family. 'Incredible' happens to be a favorite among my family, everyone from my mom to my grandmother loves this particular shade of red and for good reason. This is a bright cherry red with a shiny finish. On the lips this feels almost like a lip balm. This particular Color Rich Lipstick has a white core which is meant to plump your lips. I can't say it plumps them much, but I do enjoy the minty smell a lot. I wore this lipstick on the day of my graduation and it lasted pretty much all day. It has the ability to stain the lips really well and I haven't had any problems with it feathering. The American Avon doesn't carry this lipstick anymore but Red 2000 looks pretty similar.

Tarte for True Blood LipSurgence, $24
I bought this because I was a huge True Blood fan and luckily the shade happened to be gorgeous. This is a cherry red lip stain with subtle gold shimmer. This is a lot less opaque than the Avon lipstick but it feels just as soft on the lips. Whenever I'm looking for a nice red that won't be too high maintenance I just reach for this. The staying power is rather good, and when the color begins to fade you end up looking like you just ate a cherry Popsicle. Very similar to the Avon, this lip stain also has a minty smell which I love. This was a limited edition product but there's a red shade in the permanent line called 'Lust.' My only problem with the Tarte LipSurgence is the price. As much as I would love to try more shades I just can't seem to bring myself to spending $24 when I could easily buy a couple Revlon Just Bitten Kissable Balm Stains instead.


Korres Mango Butter Lipstick in '52 Orange Red,' $18
Ugh, I feel so bad sharing these discontinued shades but they're still part of my lipstick collection. This is a great sheer and glossy orange-based red. I absolutely love the formula of these lipsticks! They're like the Revlon Lip Butters but even softer on the lips. I know that's hard to believe but these just feel really nice on the lips. This is the ideal sheer red for me and I love how versatile it is. You can wear this red with a very natural look or even a more smoked bronze out look. 

Mac Lipstick in 'Lady Danger,' $15
I Back-2-Mac'ed for this lipstick after reading that this is Regina Spektor's signature red lipstick. This is the most opaque orange-based red lipstick I own. I know blue-based reds are supposed to make your teeth appear whiter but I feel like this lipstick makes your whole complexion more radiant. I love how flattering it looks against my pale skin but I also know that this color looks fantastic with a tanner complexion. Being a matte lipstick, the formula isn't very moisturizing so if you do have dry lips I would recommend to exfoliate and apply a lip balm prior to the application. This happens to be one of my favorite lipsticks in my collection and one that I highly recommend people to purchase. It is that gorgeous.

OCC Lip Tar in 'NSFW,' $18
Lip tars are one of those cult makeup products. What are they? Are they a gloss or a lipstick? What if I say that they're both? It goes on slick like a gloss and dries down to a satin finish. You only need one drop of this to cover your whole lips, it's that opaque! This is one product that you absolutely need a lip brush because if you apply it like a regular lip gloss you'll end up looking like the Joker. Another thing that I must warn you about is feathering. This feathers outside of your lip line like crazy! Which is why I recommend to outline your lips with a clear and waxy lip pencil. Despite that I still think this is a fantastic color that will last years! I've had my tube for about 3 years and there is absolutely no signs of it running out or going bad on me. 

Rimmel Show Off Lip Lacquer in 'Big Bang,' $4.99
I've FINALLY found the Rimmel Apocalips, or Show Off Lips as they're called in 'Muricah. Why the name change? I have no idea, I personally think that Apocalips sounds way better. This is very similar to 'NSFW' but a tad more blue-based. Just like a lip tar, this is very opaque! You honestly need one swipe to achieve an opaque coat on your lips. It looks like a gloss in the tube, applies like a gloss, but it's as opaque as a lipstick. I love it! The application is a breeze and I find that these deeper shades stain your lips quite well. You could even use this as a cheek stain if you want! I have a feeling that I'll be wearing this shade a lot because it is absolutely gorgeous. Show Off Lip Lacquers are currently available at Walgreens. 

Are you a fan of red lips? What are you favorite red lipsticks or glosses? Let me know in the comments below.

Have a great weekend everyone!

No comments :

Post a Comment